5 Quick Solutions To Get Rid Of Mold In Your Home

There are a lot of reasons why you might have water damage in your home. And water damage can bring with it another problem: mold growth.

Mold is dangerous for those who suffer from allergies or respiratory conditions, as well as those who are very young or elderly. The best thing to do when faced with water damage and mold growth is to call a professional water damage restoration company that has experience dealing with severe water damage and mold removal. However, if you would like to take care of the problem yourself, there are some things you can do before calling a water-damage repair company.

Here’s how to stop mold growth in house:

1) Use bleach to eliminate the threat

Bleach is one of the best things you can use to kill and remove mold growth from surfaces. The only problem with using bleach alone is that it does not stick well to surfaces, so it requires a lot of scrubbing and wiping. It might help instead to use a mixture of bleach and water (3 parts water mixed with 1 part bleach). However, be very careful when using bleach as exposure may cause irritation or respiratory problems if one isn’t careful. Make sure plenty of ventilation is present before using any sort of cleaning product such as this. To further prevent exposure, use rubber gloves and wear a mask.

2) Use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to remove mold and mildew

Vinegar is also extremely effective at eliminating mold growth, as it kills nearly all forms of bacteria on sight. You can use full-strength white vinegar (5% acidity), but make sure the surface you are cleaning won’t be damaged by such things as degreasing agents or dyes contained in the vinegar. Usually, using a mixture of half water and half vinegar will work just fine. Hydrogen peroxide can also be used instead of or in addition to vinegar – simply spray the area with hydrogen peroxide and wipe away after about 5 minutes (this works great for bathrooms and other moist areas).

3) Use borax to clean away mold

Borax is a natural, inexpensive mineral compound that kills and removes mold growth very effectively. It’s also completely safe – just be sure to wear gloves when handling it as it can cause irritation. To use borax, mix 1 part borax with 2 parts water and spray onto the area where you see mold growth. Let it dry naturally, then wipe off with a wet cloth or sponge dipped in hot soapy water. Finish by spraying the area again with diluted vinegar (1:1 vinegar/water mixture) and let sit for 10 minutes before rinsing with water.

4) Use a HEPA filter to circulate the air in your home

A High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter is an effective tool at purifying the air of mold spores, pollen, and irritants. Installing one of these filters in your central heating/air system can help reduce the presence of mold in your household. Not only this but it will also improve the indoor air quality for you and your family’s health by filtering out allergens such as pet dander, dust mites, smoke, etc.

5) Get professional help if you can’t remove mold yourself

While the above tips are very effective at removing mold growth, serious cases of a mold infestation may require completely replacing contaminated materials. If this is the case, it’s time to call in a professional. Not only will they know what to do better than you would, but also, they will have access to proper equipment and supplies for safely removing mold without disturbing your surroundings.

Post Author: Jayden Logan